How to Travel Cheap: Travel Hacking with Credit Card Points
June 21, 2017
We’ve written here before on the importance of vacation for de-stressing, creativity, and productivity, but what if you just don’t have the money to fly to a remote beach or history-laden European city? Do you want to spend a week in Barcelona or the Bahamas? You could either:
- Tighten your budget and save up for a year or more
- Get a second job and save up for a year or more, or
- Just do things the easy way…
CAVEATBefore getting into the amazing benefits you can earn from strategically chosen credit cards, there’s a big caveat of which you should be very, very aware. Credit card travel hacking is only a good idea if:
- You’re employed or have a reliable, predictable income.
- Can be reasonably organized with multiple credit cards.
- Can be trusted with a credit card.
- Don’t have a history of racking up credit card debt.
- And you have a credit score of 680 or better.
THE ORIGINAL TRAVEL HACKING: CREDIT CARDSThe process of travel hacking with credit cards can be boiled down to three steps:
- Sign up for a credit card with a good travel-related signup bonus
- To earn the bonus, you need to meet the minimum spending requirement within 3 months
- Redeem the points for free flights and hotel nights!